HR Check In: Fresh Perspectives in the Human Resources Space

HR Check In: Fresh Perspectives in the Human Resources Space

Emily Check

There are many issues in the HR industry that are considered legacy problems, things we will probably always need to solve for. However new solutions and statistics are always coming out that impact the prevalence of these issues when it comes to hiring. These four articles explore problems that have been around for years and offer new ways to measure and improve them.

One-Third of Companies Have Disqualified Job Candidates in Past Year for Questionable Social Media (SHRM)

As people have become more comfortable with social media there has been less of a buzz around the negative affect it can have on your professional life. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a huge factor when recruiters consider applicants in the hiring process—over one-third of companies have disqualified a candidate in the past year due to questionable social media activity. Recruiting passive job candidates is the top reason that companies use social media for recruiting. 84% of organizations use social media to recruit currently, and another 9% have plans to start using it.

A Road Map to Help HR Truly Become a Trusted Advisor (TLNT)

Carol Anderson, an author and human resources thought leader, shares the basis of her book about Repurposing HR in this TLNT article. She created a “Roadmap” that consists of a disciplined process that can help HR teams think collectively about the customer, by focusing on operational leaders. Her road map is made up of eight stopovers, which provide questions for HR leaders to ask and answer. She explains a unique perspective on HR—that we need to help operational leaders see people issues as business issues. Leaders of a company must know that HR has the tools and resources to help them lead, but that the responsibility for the performance and productivity of the people that work beneath them is their responsibility.

Talent Pool, Talent Pipeline, or Talent Database? Does It Matter? (Sirona Consulting)

Whether you call it a talent pool, talent pipeline, or talent database, the question is still the same, what should your company do to build a talent capability for the future that you can use effectively? Here’s a preview of the first 6 actions.

  1. Understand which talent capability you need
  2. Define what talent you need now (and in the future)
  3. Find the right technology
  4. Be realistic with the timeline
  5. Delegate resources
  6. Align the career site

Why You Must Rethink How You Reject Talent in 2016 (LinkedIn Talent Pulse)

Consider this: 40% of candidates who don’t hear back from a company after applying will never apply again. How come? Because they assume if a company doesn’t bother to let them know they weren’t selected, they must not be qualified to work there at all. The bottom line is most companies cannot afford to turn candidates off in this way. The average job posting gets 200+ applicants, yet the recruiter only takes 2-3 of those applicants to their hiring manager for review. So 2% of applicants have a chance of getting in front of the right person, and 98% are stuck waiting for a response, which might never come.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *